Volunteers are an invaluable resource to our teachers and students. Those who volunteer at school will sharpen their teaching skills, become better leaders, and develop a sense of pride in contributing to students' success.
Let’s all come together and make our schools a great learning place for our students. Please remember to volunteer in SCEC you must complete a volunteer application, undergo an Indiana criminal background check. Once approved you must attend a MANDATORY volunteer orientation to complete the process. If there is not an orientation listed for your school you will need to attend any of the other orientations at the schools.
*Please DO NOT wait for the last minute to complete an application. Applications must be submitted at least 2 weeks in advance of any trip.
Goals of the Volunteer Program
- Strengthen the involvement of parents in the education of children.
- Increase participation of community, business and industry in public schools.
- Establish awards and recognition for individuals, businesses, and organizations that volunteer their services in the School City of East Chicago.
A volunteer is a person or group who has been approved by completing the district’s volunteer process and then provides services of his/her own free will to the School City of East Chicago.
Volunteers will renew their application every other year. Returning volunteers will have to update their application by filling out an Affidavit Affirming No Change in Criminal Record.
Document Volunteer Hours
Basic Requirements of Volunteering
- Be supportive of the school staff.
- Dress appropriately.
- Familiarize yourself with the school’s routines and procedures.
- Be friendly, cooperative, and professional in all activities and dealings with all people.
- Other children should not be attending volunteer sessions with you. You have a specific role in the classroom which deserves your full attention. Little children can be distracting to the rest of the class.
- Local school recognition throughout the year
- District recognition for volunteers; SCEC Volunteer Luncheon.
- National recognition through the Presidential Volunteer Service Awards:
- Check in and out at designated area.
- Check in with Parent Liaison to find out about volunteer opportunities.
- Wear your badge to identify yourself as a volunteer.
- Inform school staff of any problems that may arise during your time spent in the schools.
- Access to student records, grades, or personal student information is not allowed.
- Remember, each school may have different guidelines for volunteering.
- The Parent Liaison oversees parent group while working close together.
- The use of all tobacco products is prohibited on school property and while chaperoning students.